At the Magnolia Avenue Studios of KDHX, we strive to make every artist sound natural and dynamic. Our engineers are passionate about music, and they employ excellent audio and video equipment. Check out our session considerations and details and spec for the studios.
Interested in performing live on a KDHX program? E-mail Program Director Kate Estwing.
Technical questions about live sessions? E-mail Production Manager Andy Coco.
- Typical sessions are 15-20 minutes of material, including interviews with show hosts.
- Often live, but sometimes pre-recorded, we encourage sessions to run as though they were live performances, rather than studio sessions. The mix will be live, with no overdubs.
- KDHX will provide engineers for sessions; however, road managers and audio engineers will be encouraged to assist our trained volunteers or staff engineers.
- All necessary recording equipment (as well as mics, cables, mixer) are provided by KDHX, and backline gear is available upon request (see below)
- 24 channels of input (2 are available in a secondary studio if isolation is required)
- Artists will need to sign a release form for the materials recorded in order for KDHX to broadcast. This release also allows KDHX "other uses" of the material, including web posting and potential inclusion on our "Live at KDHX" CD membership drive gift series (for which expressed consent will be re-requested).
- Sessions are recorded live to CD from the board mix, which feeds our air signal. Artists may leave with a CD of the performance in hand as time allows.
- We also run an Alesis 24-track hard drive recorder for future uses. Artists may request a DVD of data files for their own use for a $50 fee.
- Allen and Heath GL2200 Mixing Console (24 channel)
- Tascam CD-RW 2000 Recorder
- Alesis HD24 ADAT Recorder
- TC Electronics M300 Multieffect Processor (Reverbs and Delays)
- 2 x M-Audio Studiophile BX5 - Mix studio monitors
- Tapco SW10 - Mix Studio Subwoofer
- 2 x Behringer Powerplay Pro-8 Headphone Distribution
- DOD 460H Headphone Distribution
- Sennheiser HD202 Headphones (many - for artist use)
- 4 x Mackie SRM450 Powered Stage Monitors
- 8 x Groove Tube PDI Direct Input Boxes
- DJ Coffin: 2 x Technics SL-1200MK2 w/Mackie d.2 or Numark DXM06 mixer
- 4 x SM 58 Beta
- 4 x SM 57
- 3 x SM 59
- 3 x SM7
- 1 x Shure PG52 (kick)
- 3 x Sennheiser e604
- 2 x EV RE-20
- 3 x SM 81 (Sm. D)
- 2 x AKG Perception 170 (Sm. D)
- 1 x StudioProjects B1 (Lg. D)
- 1 x MXL 990 (Lg. D)
- 1 x MXL 991 (Sm. D)
- 2 x EV RE-200 (Sm. D)
- 1 x OctavaMC 012-01 (Sm. D)
- Fender Showman w/ 2 X 15" SUNN Cabinet
- Fender Bassman w/ 2 x 15" Fender Cabinet
- Hartke 1200 Bass Amp w/15" Fender Cabinet
- Ampeg 12" Keyboard/Bass Amp
- Crate 10" Guitar Amp
- Crate 12" Acoustic Guitar Amp
- Kurzweil SP88 Stage Piano w/Stand
- Studio Arts Drum Kit: 5 pc. w/22" Kick
- Paiste Cymbals: 14" Hi-Hat, 16" Crash and 20" Ride
Photos by Sara Finke.